Sorry, this is an old favourite of mine. I’m having a pretty tough week, so excuse the lack of blogging and tweeting. I wanted to share this as it’s just what I want to be eating this week.
Serves 2-4 depending on hunger
2 salmon fillets, skin on
1 large, ripe Hass avocado
200g pre-cooked Puy lentils (I like the ones sold in a pouch)
100g lettuce leaves (my favourite is a mixture of pea shoots and baby spinach leaves)
1 pack tender stem broccoli
3 tablespoons good quality olive oil
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
This salad is very quick and simple to make. As there are a number of different stages involved, you can easily prepare the cooked ingredients in advance and assemble just before serving.
1) Cook the salmon by placing the fillets skin down in a hot frying pan or grill pan. Cook for around 3 minutes on a high heat, then lower the temperature and cook for another 3-5 minutes until the flesh turns a peachy colour and is no longer translucent.
2) Flip the salmon fillet over so it’s flesh side down and cook for another two minutes. I like my salmon cooked fairly lightly, so it’s up to you how you prefer it cooked.
3) When the salmon fillets are cooked to your taste, remove them from the pan and pull away the skin. Flake the salmon into large chunks with a fork – you’ll find it naturally falls apart very easily.
4) Next, heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan. When it’s hot, add the lentils and cook for around 2-3 minutes (there will be instructions on the packet) until they are separated and are warmed through. Put to one side in a bowl once heated.
5) Now, steam or boil the broccoli until it is soft but still retains a bit of crunch.
6) Whilst the broccoli is cooking, start to assemble the salad. Wash and dry the lettuce leaves and lay them out the plates. Scatter the lentils over the leaves, followed by the salmon flakes. Slice the whole avocado and lay the slices onto the salad. Finally, add the broccoli stems once cooked.
7) Whisk together the remaining two tablespoons of olive oil with the lemon juice to make the dressing. Pour evenly over the salad and enjoy immediately.