This is a great loaf cake recipe to have up your sleeve. It’s an extremely simple loaf cake to make, requiring very little in the name of skill or expertise, but invariably gets lots of lovely comments from people. I like to make it as a gift – I did last week, and everyone said how much they’d enjoyed it.
Banana, vanilla and chocolate chip loaf
285g plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1⁄2 tsp salt
110g butter plus extra for greasing
225g caster sugar
2 free-range eggs, beaten
4 ripe bananas, mashed
2 tsp vanilla extract
100g chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease a 2lb loaf tin and line with baking paper
2. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a large mixing bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
4. Add the eggs, mashed bananas, milk and vanilla extract and chocolate chips and beat together until combined. Now, gently fold in the flour mixture.
5. Transfer to the prepared tin, then place in the oven and bake for about an hour, or until well-risen and golden-brown.
6. Remove from the oven and cool in the tin for a few minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely before serving.